When Courage Fails Us

A reading for Wednesday, January 25, 2017: Luke 5:17-26.

And when our courage fails, and we haven't anything left... When our own power isn't enough to get us through... When faithfulness and sin has overwhelmed whatever will we have had to endure...

Notice the four friends in the story today who carry the paralyzed man, and who dig a hole in the roof just to get him to Jesus. They are undeterred in their love and care. Nothing else happens to forgive sin or to heal without these who care enough to carry him.

Then it is our friends, our community that carry us on to live the way of Jesus Christ. Truth is we cannot do it alone. We need to be part of a fellowship. Our courage will fail and we will be too tired to go. That's when others with our same convictions (notice other things don't have to be the same) do for us what we cannot do on our own.

I am grateful to God for all those who share my faith, who carry me onward, who help me each day to get into the presence of Jesus my Lord so that I might be forgiven and healed. I urge you to look around today and give them your thanks too.


Comments

Popular Posts