The Problem With Repentance

A reading for Friday, January 27, 2017: Luke 5:27-32.

The problem the Pharisees and their scribes have with repentance is that they don't think they need it. Levi needs it, according to them, but not them. All those gathered at Levi's house need it, but not them. Perhaps the inference is that even Jesus needs repentance ("Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”), but they don't need to repent...

Sometimes we have the same problem. "Others need to listen to me, according to me, but I need not listen to them." That politician, or that religious leader, or that teacher, or that coach... they are in need of some serious repentance, but that's not me. The problem with repentance is that we don't think we need it.

There has been a great deal of talk about Twitter in the last weeks and months. I like the Tweet from Shane Claiborne, who is a very outspoken critic of President Donald Trump. On January 21st, he sent this into the cyberworld of commentary:

Tonight I pray for Donald Trump-
that he might repent, follow Jesus, & live out the Sermon on the Mount.

I pray the same for myself.

Indeed, for Jesus came "to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance.” The problem most of us might have with Jesus is that we don't really think we need him for life and hope and peace.

Comments

Popular Posts