Patrick of Ireland

A reading for Thursday, March 17, 2016: Isaiah 11:1-9.

Patrick of England was captured by Irish pirates and taken from his home in England to serves as a slave in Ireland for six years. He finally escaped and returned to his family. Yet after hearing the call of Jesus Christ to be a cleric, he believed his service to Christ was to return to Ireland to evangelize and teach those that he had encountered during his slavery.

He became St. Patrick of Ireland who is quoted as saying, "If I have any worth, it is to live my life for God so as to teach these peoples; even though some of them still look down on me."

Surely Patrick knew the words of Isaiah 11, about the coming Messiah who would sacrifice and serve all of humankind with justice and righteousness. Every disciple of Jesus is called to serve others in the same way. "...for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea."

St. Patrick's day is more than just a day to wear green and have a parade. It's also a day to imagine how we are called to serve others in the name of Jesus Christ. For the blessing of others, even those who look down on us. When we do the Lord is with us.

From the Lorica of Patrick:

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left
Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit, Christ where I arise
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Comments

Popular Posts