One Thing?

A reading for Monday, December 21, 2015: Genesis 18:1-15, 21:1-7.

One thing. What's the one thing you seek? If you could ask God for "one thing," what would it be?

In the daily prayer I read from Northumbria, it says, "One thing I have asked of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life; to behold the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple." Is this your one thing?

For Abraham and Sarah, the "one thing" was a child... a son even. They prayed for years for a son. Everything they heard was reflected through that one prayer. Even when the promise was offered, Sarah laughed because she couldn't believe it could finally be true. Her "one thing" was to be given...

Billy Crystal's character in City Slickers said that all of life is about "one thing." The challenge is to figure out what that "one thing" is. What's your "one thing?"

Perhaps Christmas week is the perfect time for seeking that "one thing" just as the shepherds and the wise men did. If you could ask God for "one thing," what would it be?

You might be surprised that God will grant a prayer, even when you are old... like Sarah, "After I have grown old, and my husband is old, shall I have pleasure?" Perhaps even when you are young or sometime in between, God is ready to grant the fulfillment of a prayer for your "one thing."

Comments

Popular Posts