Psalm 27

A reading for Friday, November 13, 2015: Psalm 27.

Several years ago, actually at the beginning of my ministry, someone shared with me how much Psalm 27 meant to her at times of trouble and struggle. "When I need to know God is there," she said, "Psalm 27 is where I go." I have never forgotten, and often read it with those I visit in the hospital or in times of crisis.

When trouble comes... "One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple."

My prayer is this... "Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me!"

Even in the midst of our trouble and suffering, we are bold to proclaim our faith... "I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

Sometimes it's hard to find the words to pray when we are struggling. Struggling comes in illness or loneliness, in frustration and anger, and in our inability to live the lives we hope to live. It comes without warning and we are quickly overwhelmed. The Christian life is not easy.

How blessed we are to have words of comfort like Psalm 27 in which to express our hope, our prayer, and our utter dependence on Almighty God to sustain us through the day with goodness and mercy.

We are grateful! Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts