Worthless Calling

A reading for Tuesday, September 29, 2015: Isaiah 6:1-8.

Murray Bodo wrote, "If I am truly poor, then I am dependent on others for everything, and I feel useless and worthless, and I realize deep within that everything is a gift from the Father. Then in this attitude of complete dependence, I become useful again, for then I am empty of selfishness and I am free to be God's instrument instead of my own."

In the midst of the Temple, in which the Lord's robe filled the hall, and angels circled singing, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory," the one who answers the call to serve knows the depth of their own poverty and uselessness. He exclaims, "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!"  Then, and only then, is Isaiah ready to answer the call to serve the Lord.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why it is so hard for us to answer the calling to serve. We don't want to admit our poverty. We can't allow ourselves to be dependent on anything but ourselves, even God. We won't be worthless in a culture where worth is so important. Seth Godin defines "worth as in what we'll trade. Worth as in our perception of its worth right now, not later. Worth as in how we remember this decision tomorrow or next year." Not even for a moment can we be worthless.

And yet, the calling of Isaiah reminds us that only when we can become worthless in our own eyes, can we be truly free to be worthy of God. Calling is absolutely dependent on God's action in us and not our own action for ourselves. It too is a gift from the Father.

Lord, empty us of selfish ambition and glory for ourselves and fill us only with your glory and a desire to serve you with our lives. Amen. 

Comments

Popular Posts