Who Is My Neighbor?

A reading for Thursday, May 21, 2015: Luke 10:25-37.

The entirety of chapter 10 in Luke should change how we read the parable of the Good Samaritan. The seventy are sent out. They are given authority by Jesus to offer peace and to receive the peace of Christ, in preparation for where Jesus intends to go. They return proclaiming the Kingdom of Heaven has drawn near in the places they have gone and the people they have seen healed.

Who is my neighbor? It is the one that has offered us hospitality. The one that has shown us mercy. My neighbor is the one in whom I have experienced the presence of God. The one who has taught me something about God and about my own life. My neighbor is the one I am dependent on, and the one in whom I have a relationship with.

Often we see our neighbor as the one we serve, the one we heal, and the one we show hospitality. Luke 10 demonstrates that we are the one in need, and our neighbor is the one who has shown us mercy and hospitality. We are able to respond to others with the mercy we have been given...

Comments

Popular Posts