Scripts

A reading for Thursday, August 21, 2014: John 6:16-27.

Walter Brueggeman has a new video on "The Work of the People" website. In "scripts" he poses that there are two different ways of seeing the world. 

One is a way of scarcity and individualism. The world is a place where I am on my own and the object of life is to be comfortable, well-fed, wealthy, safe, and all of the things that are about individuals. In this narrative I take, and I own, and I use up, and my interests are over against the interests of all others.

The other is the way of abundance in which God has provided enough gifts and enough of everything for everybody. This is the narrative of scripture, and it is in direct opposition to much of what we see around us everyday. In this narrative I am in relationship with God and with others, and the gifts of God and the gifts of others are what provide. It's a different way of seeing things...

Jesus said, "Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal."

Comments

Popular Posts