The True Vine

A reading for Wednesday, April 30, 2014: John 15:1-11.

We are connected to the vine, as branches we receive all our nutrients and water from the vine. Jesus Christ is the vine and we are the branches. I am only a branch and not the vine. Only Christ can be the vine.

Sometimes I convince myself that I am an individual tree (or vine) planted alone and independent. It feels good to stand on my own for a time, but if we are trees, then bearing fruit is dependent only upon our ability to stand tall and to sustain ourselves. When there is a drought, or a storm, or the sun becomes too hot, we wither and die and then there is no fruit. I cannot stand alongside Christ in the garden, as if I too were a vine. Only Christ can be the vine.

Lord, when I attempt big things help me remember that you are the vine. When I am scared and overwhelmed at the challenges that lie ahead, help me remember that you are the vine. When I see the joy of your fruit big and bold and full of glorious color, help me remember that you are the vine.

I can do nothing alone, but in Christ who is the true vine connected to the Father's love, I can do all things... Only Christ can be the vine.

Comments

Popular Posts