It's Not A Right Conferred Upon the Worthy

A reading for Thursday, April 17, 2014: 1 Corinthians 11:27-32.

Maundy Thursday

A very well known politician and wealthy businessman gave an interview recently in which he said that because he donated 50 million dollars to a cause he cares about, he had earned his way to heaven. He said, "I am telling you, if there is a God, when I get to heaven I'm not stopping to be interviewed. I am heading straight in. I have earned my place in heaven. It's not even close."

Today is Maundy Thursday. It's the day devoted to the celebration of the Lord's Supper, the Holy Eucharist. The PCUSA has these words of invitation as part of our observance of Communion:

"Access to the Table is not a right conferred upon the worthy but a privilege given to the undeserving who come in faith, repentance, and love." 

Perhaps sometimes we all need to be reminded that we do not "earn" our way to heaven or even to participate at the Lord's table no matter how much good we have done. We are utterly dependent on the good grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. He earned whatever we have been granted. To God be all honor and glory.

Comments

Popular Posts