An Ancient Courtyard and Oscar Thank You

A reading for Monday, March 3, 2014: John 18:15-18, 25-27

All along the way, Jesus told the disciples they would not be able to drink from the cup he would have to drink from, or carry the burden he would carry. Now even as Peter is allowed into the courtyard where Jesus would be tried, we quickly learn how true this would come to be.

Peter denies even knowing Jesus when tested. Rather than stand by his side, and endure the suffering of being one of his disciples, Peter denies Jesus. Peter was proud to stand with Jesus when it was in his best interest, but when it was not, he turned his back.

Even here there is good news. Jesus is capable of carrying the burden alone. Our Christ has drank from the cup on our behalf, and we are the beneficiaries of such a blessing. Our only response is thank you. To know that our blessing comes not from our own hand, but from God alone.

By the way, did you see Matthew McConaughey's Oscar acceptance speech when he said, "First off I want to thank God, because he's the one I look up to, he's graced my life with opportunities which I know are not of my hand or any other human kind."

Others saw it. The tweets were quick and furious. Some congratulated McConaughey for thanking God. Others criticized him violently for the "God talk," where God talk is not welcome.

It reminded me of a courtyard long ago...

Comments

  1. Isn't it refreshing and worthy of praise when a public figure gives God credit for his/her abilities and successes? Especially when the nation is watching a competitive and secular event. I wouldn't have thought of Peter and his 'test' as an analogy, so I thank you for pointing it out. I truly benefit from your devotionals - gives me food for thought during my day.
    Linda Diguette

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts